Separators are small elastics that fit snugly between the molars to help move them slightly apart so that bands can be fitted around them about a week later.
- Do not eat anything sticky or chewy.
- Do not floss where separators are placed.
- Brush your teeth normally.
- Check the separators each day. A spacer can fall out on its own if enough space has been made between your teeth.
- Call immediately if they do come out, they need to be replaced. If the separator comes out the day before your appointment there is no need to call.
- The separators may feel ‘bouncy” when you bite, this is normal..
- If your teeth are sore for the first day or so, you may take whatever medication you take for a headache.