Facts About Adult Orthodontics
Nearly 1 million adults are wearing braces today – more than ever before. The potential for adult orthodontics has never been greater. Many adults whose parents were not able to provide orthodontic treatment for them when they were children now have the resources to finally correct that bothersome smile. Also, the affordability of braces today, improved technology and more aesthetically pleasing braces are factors that contribute to adults’ decisions to get orthodontic treatment.
There are many sound clinical reasons for adult treatment. As adults age, crooked teeth may become more obvious than they were previously. Orthodontic treatment can align the crooked teeth, making them more attractive and easier to keep clean.
Why an adult patient should get an orthodontic check-up at no charge in our office soon:
- By age 35, three out of four adults have some form of periodontal disease. Also, crowding typically occurs in the lower front teeth, making teeth harder to keep clean (which may aggravate an existing periodontal problem, or lead to one.)
- Crowded teeth are hard to clean and maintain. Given time, they may contribute to tooth decay, gum disease and even tooth loss. Orthodontic treatment can result in better dental health.
- Research shows that patients who have undergone orthodontic treatment are better dental patients. They are more likely to practice good dental hygiene and make regular visits to their dentists.
- Bad bites can result in abnormal wear of tooth surfaces, difficulty in chewing and damage to supporting bone and gum tissue.
- Sometimes crooked teeth and incorrect bites may contribute to TMJ pain and associated headaches.
- Orthodontic treatment often costs less than paying for treatment of more serious problems caused by problem bites.
- We offer convenient payment plans, making orthodontics more affordable today. We offer special plans for parents and their children who undergo treatment at the same time.