- WEAR retainers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, NO EXCUSES!!
- BRUSH retainers every time you brush your teeth, by holding the plastic part of the retainer. Brush gently, with cold water and toothpaste. Also brush the roof of your mouth and behind lower teeth on gums, to keep them healthy.
- SOAK retainers in Efferdent every few weeks for ten minutes. This will keep them clean from plaque build up.
- EAT what you like, but some gum and hard candies will stick to the retainer and will need to be removed carefully.
- USE THE CLASPS around the molars to remove the retainers.
- DO NOT WRAP in paper towel or leave around pets.
- DO NOT CLICK the retainers up and down in your mouth, they will break!!
- DO NOT SOAK retainers in warm or hot water, they will bend and distort.
- DO NOT PULL UP OR DOWN on the front wires to remove the retainers.
- DO NOT WAIT to call our office if your retainers break or get lost. Contact the office immediately so a new impression can be taken.
After all orthodontic treatment is complete, retainers are generally worn 24 HOURS A DAY for THE FIRST 6 WEEKS, then nights only until your late 20’s, then at least once or twice a week forever. Remove retainers during these first 6 weeks only when brushing, swimming in a lake or ocean, or when playing a sport that requires a mouth guard. When retainers are out for these reasons, keep them in a case.