Orthodontics for Special Needs
In order to properly care for patients who have special needs, Dr. Ellen has received advanced training in special care and craniofacial orthodontics. We understand that our special needs patients may have other complex issues which can impact their orthodontic treatment, and our team is trained to cater to each patient’s needs individually. In fact, our experience in special care orthodontics enables us to deliver exceptional care for patients with physical, emotional, mental, or sensory impairments.
Patients with special needs are often served by multiple healthcare providers with whom we are pleased to coordinate care in the interest of the patient’s comprehensive health.
Braces are Beneficial for Patients with Specials Needs
It would seem that straight teeth are a low-priority for a patient with special needs. However, we know that the benefits of orthodontic care for an individual with special needs are not merely cosmetic:
- Straightening the teeth can simplify daily dental care, reducing the risk for cavities and gum disease for an impaired patient.
- Talking, chewing, and swallowing are easier and more comfortable when the teeth fit together in harmony.
- Severely flared teeth or buck teeth are more likely to fracture. Teeth in this position are also more likely to interfere with speech and word formation.
- Orthodontic treatment can help to improve tongue position, eliminating problematic tongue thrusting and speech impediments.
- Facial muscle strain, bruxism (the uncontrollable habit of grinding the teeth), jaw pain, and TMJ dysfunction can be addressed through orthodontic treatment.
Knowledge and Compassionate Care
Dr. Ellen possesses the knowledge and skill to evaluate and properly treat a wide range of patients with special needs, including autism and birth disorders. Along with our team, Dr. Ellen is also prepared to compassionately manage the emotional challenges that can make cooperation difficult for patients with special needs.
We believe that a patient with special needs deserves exceptional orthodontic care, despite the obstacles that sometimes make their treatment more challenging. That’s why we’re dedicated to working with our patients and their caregivers in an effort to build a rewarding relationships and healthier smiles.
To arrange a consultation, please contact our office today.